The Great Tables Challenge

1

Staff and pupils at Stowford School had the opportunity to show off their times tables knowledge and skills in the inaugural Table Challenge.ks2 finalists

All the children, from Year 1 upwards, were offered the chance to represent their Tor (school team) and battle it out to become the tor Tables Champion for their year group. The top competitors from each Tor then took on each other to determine who would be the ultimate champion for each key stage.

Competitors faced a minute of quick fire tables questions linked to the knowledge required for their year group, in a bid to shout the correct answer first. At each stage they were watched by the rest of their year group, who provided plenty of encouragement and appreciation.

The key stage 2 final took place in Friday’s assembly, with Alfie from Year 6 edging a win on the final question. The key stage 1 final took place in the afternoon and Alfie from Year 2 emerged victorious. Seven staff also volunteered to take the challenge in front of the whole school and year 5 teaching assistant Gill Gilbert took the honours in a tense head to head in extra time after the first round ended in a draw.

KS1 tables finalists

Head of Maths, Anne Burns, said, “I wasn’t quite sure how many children would be keen to put themselves through their paces, but in the end nearly a third of the children took part, which was fantastic. I hadn’t appreciated quite how hotly contested the competitions would be, but I was astonished by the standard of skills the children displayed right across the school. I was also so impressed by the brave staff contestants who volunteered to put themselves under such public pressure. The aim of the Challenge was to raise the profile of times tables and there is no doubt that we achieved that!”